Satisfying and lucrative real estate investment depends upon your correct assessment of profit potential, of course, but your ultimate success depends on your ability to transform a doghouse into a dollhouse. The renovation process involves physical work and choosing the best supplies, in order to create maximum positive emotional effect and profits. By incorporating the psychology of residential design, you can make wise choices in transforming your fixer house by using colors, textures, building materials, and decorations that will assure a future speedy and cost-effective sale.
The psychology of residential design addresses the entire home, inside and out, but the techniques of Transformation Psychology are a bit different, because your ultimate goal is different. The use of Design Psychology in your personal home is much more individualized, while renovating a doghouse into a dollhouse integrates more generalized design ideas to create a home that appeals to a specific target buyer.
Using Transformation Psychology to increase your real estate profits means that you must learn how our human senses and emotions are affected by our decorating details and choices of materials. Buyers view a prospective home with their eyes, but their brains interpret what they see and feel according to subtle touches you have purposefully chosen to decorate your house.
Process of Transformation Psychology
Your goal is to create a glorious home that buyers won’t be able to live without, and that process begins with planning all the changes that will be necessary, from inception to realization, in order to accomplish a total makeover of the house. Calculate your eventual selling season. For instance, if you will be selling during summer, chose colors and patterns that make the buyer feel like your home is a refreshing haven from the heat; using green cool colors and bamboo patterns will attract buyers during sweltering heat.
Also, consider your ultimate target market. Determine the type of buyer by estimating the income level. For homes in upscale neighborhoods, use complex colors like sage green; for working-class neighborhoods, use simple greens.
Buy Materials with Drama in Mind
When you envision your ultimate transformation and make a plan, you will be prepared to choose the right building materials. Spend a little extra time choosing design details like paint colors, new flooring, and lighting fixtures. Check out new development houses nearby and see what your competition features. This helps you to follow current decorating trends.
Spending a little extra money on upgraded materials can boost your profit when buyers fall in love with your creation. Also, in markets with more houses for sale than buyers, making your home stand out can mean that you sell fast and pay fewer mortgage payments.
We love taking a dirty doghouse and turning it into a marvelous dollhouse, and we’re willing to invest more time and money than the average investor in order to achieve a truly dramatic transformation. We usually spend about $12,000 for each renovation, which includes the cost of materials and outside help. Many investors spend much less, but they make less profit when the property sells.
Real estate investing takes skill and planning, but using Transformation Psychology gives you a competitive edge, taking a doghouse and turning it into the kind of dollhouse that buyers stand in line to bid on.
(c) Copyright 2005 Jeanette J. Fisher. All rights reserved.
Professor Jeanette Fisher, author of Doghouse to Dollhouse for Dollars, Joy to the Home, and other books teaches Real Estate Investing and Design Psychology. For more articles, tips, reports, newsletters, and sales flyer template, see http://www.doghousetodollhousefordollars.com/pages/5/index.htm
Related Flicker Images:
- Selling Investment Houses: Psychology of Mirrors Discover new interior Design Psychology strategies to increase your real estate profits. One technique, using mirrors as props for staging houses helps you sell your investment properties for more money, and fast.Take advantage of a tried and true sales technique: World Book Encyclopedia sales people asked the prospective buyer where they would put their bookcase filled with the Encyclopedia. Once the buyers visualized the set in their home, they were ready to sign the […]
- Buying Houses: Types of Bargains to Find To make a good profit in real estate, you must buy right. Check out all property types available to find the best transaction for your specific situation. Consider fixers, distressed sales, repossessions, multiple listings, for sale by owners, and vacant properties just wasting away.Distressed PropertiesRecognize the difference between a fixer and a distressed property. Distressed properties may be fixers or just unwanted houses. Divorce, job loss or transfer, death, financial […]
- How to Make the Real Estate Market Work For You and Get The Most Money How to make the Real Estate market work for you and get the most money.
Dad always said that Real estate is a good investment because they don’t make it anymore. Because they are so busy these days anyone selling your home may be thinking more of listing more homes than your welfare. If you plan on selling and moving you will need to take some simple steps to get the most money you can.
Most Real Estate companies do a good job but in a sellers market you can probably sell your home […]
- Selling by Owner Escrow or Closing Checklist Home sellers should keep on top of their pending sale; especially when selling without the assistance of a real estate agent. Sometimes busy real estate agents forget to monitor all aspects of a pending sale.Here’s a checklist for home sellers:Selling Escrow ChecklistProperty Address:Date escrow opened: Estimated closing date:
Fire insurance provider:Listing agent: […]
- Achieving Positive Cash Flow from Your Real Estate Investments Even if you’re counting on rising property values to eventually make a profit on an investment property, it’s far more desirable to have a positive cash flow each month. If you’re losing money on a property every month, it may not take long until your future profits will have been lost. Owning investment property is much more enjoyable if you’re making money along the way.Here are a couple of ideas for keeping your investment property cash flow in the black:If you don’t already own […]
- Interior Design Secrets for Selling Houses New concepts in Interior Design Psychology are helping home sellers net more money in today's competitive real estate market. Therefore, it's worthwhile to spend time planning the changes that will help your home sell for the highest price.Develop a general design plan, keeping your target market and budget in mind. Your overall design plan really depends on supply and demand. How many houses are for sale in your area? How many houses sell each week? Is the selling season cold, warm, […]
- Condo Hotel Trends – A Look at the Big Picture in Vacation Home Ownership Condo hotels are one of the hottest products in today’s real estate market. New properties are cropping up in different parts of the country and new buyers are entering the market daily. Things have been moving so quickly in terms of condo hotels, but sometimes it's worth taking a moment to step back and look at the big picture.Condo Hotels In General: There is a spreading enthusiasm about the condo hotel concept. More people are recognizing its potential and therefore creating […]