Meningitis is an inflammation of the membranes around the brain and spinal cord. It is caused by either a virus or bacteria.
Viral meningitis is usually mild and does not require medical
treatment. Bacterial meningitis however can be life-threatening and can come on very quickly. Children under five are most likely to be affected and sadly some of these will die.
There are several types of bacteria that can cause meningitis, the most common being meningococcal bacteria. Most of carry this bacteria in our noses and throats without becoming ill. The bacteria can be passed through kissing, sneezing and coughing. Only if the bacteria reaches the blood stream does the person contract meningitis and/or septicaemia – most people who get meningitis will also get septicaemia.
Mercifully, meningitis and septicaemia cases are quite rare.
However, it is important to know the symptoms as early treatment is vital.
High temperature – above 99.5°F/37.5°C.
Extreme sleepiness – difficulty in waking baby.
Dislike of bright lights
Difficulty breathing, or fast breathing.
Purpley-red or brown rash.
Cold hands and feet.
Bulging soft spot (fontanelle).
Blotchy skin getting paler or turning blue.
A high-pitched or moaning cry.
Abnormally stiff body with jerky movements.
A septicaemia rash usually starts as purpley-red
or brown pinpricks on the skin anywhere on the body. To check
whether the rash is a sign of septicaemia, press a clear glass
against the rash. Other rashes will fade, if this one does not
do so it is likely to be septicaemia.
Author: Tony and Katy Luck who run a site with help on having a baby and a personalized gift shop.
Related Flicker Images:
- Inflammatory Arthritis: Alternative Treatments There are two main types of arthritis: inflammatory arthritis and osteoarthritis. Inflammatory arthritis can be treated naturally without drugs. Inflammatory arthritis' symptoms (such as Rheumatoid Arthritis) are exactly what they sound like: inflammation, redness and swelling in the joints. Sometimes there will even be a temperature change in the area affected. Also, in the hand, you may notice that some fingers may look like they are turning away from the thumb (ulnar […]
- The Sweat Stops Here As many as one in 100 individuals across the UK suffer from severe excessive sweating or hyperhidrosis, according to the clinical paper Boni R. in Kreydon OP, Boni R, Burg G (eds); Hyperhidrosis and Botulinum Toxin in Dermatology. Many more people suffer from mild or moderate forms of the medical condition.
If you’re one of those unlucky individuals afflicted with the embarrassing condition and are familiar with clammy handshake syndrome or underarm perspiration overload then […]
- Adderall and Its Side-Effects Adderall is a stimulant medication used in the treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in both children and adults. It is made from a combination of four amphetamine compounds. Adderall is useful because it covers a broader range of ADHD symptoms than a single compound medication such as Ritalin, and because it is a "one a day" dosing. A child with attention deficit disorder usually has to take only one dose of adderall per day to get through school and get his homework […]
- If Ever a Man So Great Walked it Would Be Him…. Dad My dad passed away this January. It happened so suddenly that I couldn't see him on his death bed. He was given the best medical treatment, money could buy, yet God wanted him at His side and therefore 2 heart attacks on the same day took him away from us.My dad was a Secretary.He had started out as a stenographer when he was 17 years old. Though very smart, he did not have enough cash to get through college and therefore always instilled in us that Education was a weapon.He was […]
- Functional Foods Are Becoming More Popular… Established in 1989 by Stephen DeFelice, “Foundation for Innovation in Medicine” defined “Nutraceutical”, as a food, dietary suppplement, or medical food that has a medical or health benefit, including the prevention and treatment of disease. Today, it is hard to separate the definition of Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods. In 2002, the Nutraceutical or Functional Food industry had evolved into a lucrative 20.2 billion dollar a year market, and is here to stay.According to a […]
- For School Success, Don't Coddle Your Kids Parents want their children to succeed in school. However, sometimes their best intentions are misguided. Attempts to provide children with a wonderful life can, in fact, increase the stress of the entire family.One of parents’ most common mistakes is to want to make everything easy for their children. It’s painful for parents to see their children struggle. If children never do anything difficult, however, they never learn that they can successfully meet a challenge.Here are some […]
- How to Give Your Child Encyclopedic Knowledge? When you talk about multiply your child’s intelligence, you can’t help but to mention about Dr. Glenn Doman. He is the founder of The Institutes for the Achievement of Human Potential and began pioneering the field of child brain development since 1940. He and the institute are famous for their pioneering work with brain-injured children and their work in early development for well children.Glenn has authored many books and materials that teach parents how to teach their babies at […]