Having clear goals and desires for our future, and planning for their fulfilment are vital steps if we are serious about self improvement and achievement.
Delayed gratification is something that is practiced by many successful people, even if they aren’t aware of it. In simple terms, delayed gratification means making sacrifices now in order to achieve greater rewards in the future.
Most successful people become successful because they take actions and make sacrifices that less successful people are not prepared to do or make. However, in order to live a well rounded life and enjoy a rewarding lifestyle, we also need to be able to make the most of where we are at any given time.
Most of us have on ongoing internal dialogue within our minds, even if we aren’t aware of it. We rehash events that have happened to us in the past and replay them in our minds, both good and bad. We also visualise events that we expect to happen to us in the future, both good and bad. When we’re at work we spend time thinking about our domestic lives, and when we’re at home we think about our problems at work. If we’re not careful our days can slip by without us really noticing.
This can happen so easily, that we sometimes need to make a concerted effort to enjoy each present moment – or run the risk of depriving ourselves of a lot of pleasure. Planning for the future is essential, and we can all learn from the past. However, savouring the present moment and enjoying the simple pleasures, like a beautiful sunset, or the joy of a laughing child, or a walk on a deserted beach with a loved one, can make our lives infinitely richer.
Self Improvement Quote of the Day:
“Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.” – Buddha
Related Flicker Images:
- A Beginner's Guide To Setting Up A Successful Online Store A beginner’s guide to setting up a successful online store
Online selling is by no means a simple task. To sell products online not only requires making use of high end marketing strategies but also involves lots of planning. This article is meant for those of you who intent to start an online store. It is intended to give you a fair idea of what you would need to do and what you need to avoid while planning an online selling business.
The following are the various steps that you […]
- If You Don't Know Where You're Going, Any Road Will Get You There What do you want to achieve?Before you actually set up, decide what you want to achieve with your business. If you are already in business, review where you are going – are you clear about this?Why not take some time out to think about and write down your goals for your business?Write it downResearch shows that only 3% of people write down their goals, and on average these people earn 10 times those who don’t have goals. Plus research shows that people with up to date written goals […]
- Introduction to Bluejacking How to Bluejack
Bluejacking means sending errent messages to other people via a bluetooth enabled device without your victim knowing who sent the message. The steps are so simple that even if you are not technologically savvy, you will be able to do it after reading our blue jacking tutorial.
Natually, you would need a Bluetooth enabled phone, PDA or PC you before you can be bluejacked or want to bluejack others. Get a bluetooth for your laptop or a bluetooth enabled phone if you do […]
- Your Own Worth Should be Worth Success Read these four simple steps that reveal how to get into the habit of being persistent. The average person can easily learn and practice these all-important steps.
1. Always know exactly what you want and allow your whole being to strive, without wavering, to follow the path to fulfilling your plan.
2. Design a good plan and don't let it lie dormant for any waking moment.
3. Develop the ability to turn away, avoid and become oblivious ever you encounter negative thoughts, […]
- Two of the Biggest Hurdles As I was preparing for a presentation recently, I was trying to figure out why small businesses have trouble marketing themselves consistently. If we know we need to be marketing, why don’t we just do it? Is it for a lack of planning or that we’re just not sure what to do or where to start?Yes, maybe. But in trying to figure out what those hurdles are that keep us from marketing consistently; I came up with two hurdles that I think might be as big as any other for most. Like a lot […]
- Enlightening Your Physical Environment: Color Me Beautiful Color plays a vital role in our mood, our ability to think and work and our energy level. Surrounding yourself with colors that inspire and seduce you to greater things is a wise investment in your environmental improvement plan. Here are some tips to get you started:
1. Paint is the first thought that comes to mind when dealing with color, and with good cause - there is little cheaper and easier in the realm of interior design than a fresh coat of paint, and almost nothing possesses […]
- Strive or Strife? That is the question I have been asking myself since the
first day of this year dawned. Prosperity and adversity is
experienced each day by everyone but how can we keep the
former in our lives?The successful among us know and use certain traits in order
for them to achieve their goals. Now some persons believe
that these people were born this way when in fact they had
to develop their winning traits.Strivers have an eye for opportunity as they are quick to
grasp the situation as it […]