Mesothelioma is a type of cancer involving mesothelial tissues of body organs usually lungs or abdominal. It is often caused by exposure to asbestos. However, there are 30-50% of patients without any history of asbestos exposure. People who have received asbestos exposure of as little as one or two months to very low doses are at risk of mesothelioma cancer. Even people who wash clothes of asbestos exposed people are at risk. A person exposed to asbestos could develop mesothelioma after 50 years of exposure.
People in the occupations such as construction jobs in shipyards, insulators, boilermakers, etc. are at the risk of contracting asbestos disease.
The 2 common types of mesothelioma are:
Pleural mesothelioma (lung cancer) and Peritoneal mesothelioma (abdomen organs).
The survival time for a patient with diffuse malignant mesothelioma is from 4 to 24 months from the observance of the symptoms. Mesothelioma is also difficult to diagnose.
The chance of recovery for a patient with mesothelioma depends on size and location of the cancer, age of the patient and his response to the treatment.
Presently, the treatment options for mesotheliomas are:
Surgery and Photodynamic therapy
There is some evidence that provitamin A or beta-carotene may decrease the risk of mesothelioma.
[Please note that this article is not a subsitute for medical advise. You have permission to publish this article in your web sites, ezines or electronic publication, as long as the piece is used in its entirety including the resource box, all hyperlinks (clickable) and references and copyright info.]
This article has been written by http://www.fatfreekitchen.com. Visit the web site mesothelioma information, for more information.
Related Flicker Images:
- A Tribute To Katharine Graham Katharine Graham, chairman of the executive committee of The Washington Post Company and the author of Personal History, a memoir for which she received the 1998 Pulitzer Prize for Biography, died July 17 at age 84.Graham, who has been dubbed "one of the most powerful women in American media," and "one of the twentieth century's most powerful and interesting women," served as chairman of the board of The Washington Post Company for 20 years prior to becoming chairman of the executive […]
- Under The Guise of Care and Concern These words came up powerfully for me these past few months. I have had the experience this year of being in several situations in which people’s genuineness and motives came into question over and over again. Have you ever met the type I am referring to? People who are correcting you because they care? People who are sharing with you for your own good and growth? People who show you every mistake and dark nook and cranny of your soul because they want to see you live a life of […]
- What is Cancer? Cancer is a process that has always effected animals, it is just as common in domestic and farm animals, birds and fishes as it is in humans. Western scientific medicine has been effective in minimising infectious diseases. Many of us are living longer and cancer has almost been accepted as a normal feature of the ageing process. But statistics do not bear this out. The incidence of cancer is increasing in all age groups.Because cancer cells take some time to grow to a stage where […]
- The Symtoms Of Meningitis And Septicaemia Meningitis is an inflammation of the membranes around the brain and spinal cord. It is caused by either a virus or bacteria.Viral meningitis is usually mild and does not require medical
treatment. Bacterial meningitis however can be life-threatening and can come on very quickly. Children under five are most likely to be affected and sadly some of these will die.There are several types of bacteria that can cause meningitis, the most common being meningococcal bacteria. Most of carry […]
- Promoting Your Child's Heart Health Cardiovascular endurance is one of the five health-related components of physical fitness. It refers to the ability of the heart and lungs to supply oxygen and nutrients to the muscles. In simple terms, someone with great cardiovascular endurance has a strong heart – one that actually grows in size and pumps more blood with every beat, resulting in a lower heart rate.As you can imagine, this can only happen when an individual regularly exercises. Typically, it’s aerobic exercise […]
- 3 Simple Rules For Your Next Sales Call The other day I received a call from a telemarketer selling a website "starter kit" for small businesses. If you are reading this right now, then you undoubtedly know that I have a website. Normally, I would quickly get the telemarketer off the line so I could get back to showing people how to make more money. But this call got my attention because I thought that this might be a potential service that I could recommend to my clients. So I decided to listen to this sales pitch to […]
- Self-Promotion on a Zero Budget Recently, I’ve received a few e-mails from people asking me for advice on how to get started in the writing biz. When I stop to think about it, maybe I’ve been lucky to accomplish this much writing in a short time. I have accidentally discovered a way to self-promote my work. It starts with an interest in Web design and a friend who needs a Web site for her professional organization. I volunteer to do it to get Web design experience.
Do you hear an “Ah-ha!” coming? Before I take you […]