With the web today you “sorta haveta” have a rank in the major search engines if you want to be seen. I mean with 250,000,000, yes 250 million searches a day on Google™ alone, how are your visitors and potential customers going to find you?
Now, there are numerous ways in which a Search Engine ranks a website; by keyword density, relevancy, content, etc. etc.. But Link Popularity is an ever growing statistic in how the Search Engines continue to rank websites.
Link popularity, is how “popular” your website is. That is how popular your site is compared to other websites. To put it another way; it is the number of “other websites” that have a link on their website to your website. Did you get that? 🙂
Now, although Link Popularity “building” is a large science and art in itself, I’ll briefly touch on a couple ways in which you can see how popular you are and how to go about improving your link popularity.
A small side note though, is link popularity is a BIG way in which Google™ ranks their search results. They refer to this as “PageRank”. With the Search Engine, FAST, they call it “link score”.
Now there are quite a few software programs and sites that can help build your link popularity as well as check your popularity.
Now, there are many ways to check your link popularity. But if you simply want to get a small idea, a little way for you to do this is go to any search engine and type in, “link popularity”, without the quotes, and there will be lots of results for you to choose from. And then simply pick a site and check your site popularity.
Now, a small way to build your popularity is by going to the altavista.com engine and type in “link:yourcompetitor.com”, and the results that show up will tell you what sites have posted links to your competitor’s websites.
Then simply visit a site and look for a contact method, be it an email address, phone number, etc. and express an interest to them in trading links. It is a win-win method for both sites so, you have nothing to lose. Some might happily oblige, and some might not. It’s certainly worth a try.
In summary, link popularity can be a never ending chore if you have a website. This is because having links on related websites to your website is a very good form of Targeted Traffic which never really quits, because most related links stay up for a long period of time, thus providing a continuous stream of targeted traffic, which, by the way is totally cost free.
And Search Engine traffic and reciprocal link traffic are the best forms of Targeted Traffic there is online. And both are free.
Burke Ferguson holds both a BSc. degree in Computer Science as well Certification in Search Engine Optimization and Marketing Strategies. He regularly publishes The ACE! newsletter, in which he shares his experience, methods, and knowledge about what works and about what is ‘BS’. He can be contacted by http://www.the-ace-ezine.com or http://www.altacanweb.com
Related Flicker Images:
- Effective Search Engine Use The Internet is a wonderful place full of resources that can be really helpful for us.The best way for finding information is through a virtual search engine. A search engine explores the resources on the Internet and gives results relating to your queries. Search engines allow keyword searches and use crawlers to locate sites or pages that match requests.However, finding the information that is relevant for you is a challenge. Everyday more sites come into existence.
A simple query […]
- Search Engine Marketing 101 For Corporate Sites When most people want to find something on the web, they use a search engine. Millions of searches are conducted every day on search engines such as: google.com, yahoo.com, msn.com and many others. Some people are looking for your website. So how do you capture people searching for what your site has to offer? Through techniques called search engine marketing (SEM).
This tutorial is foundational information for anyone looking to implement search engine marketing. This tutorial will […]
- Getting Unlimited Traffic From Search Engines Search engines have become so intimidating lately - most people
think that search engines are just out to get them - everyone's
becoming afraid... They also think that getting #1 rankings
is near impossible.Yes, if you're trying to trick search engines, THEN - they're
out to get you - BIG TIME.BUT, if you're willing to work with them and help them,
then they can seriously be your business's best friend.Here's how:----------------------------------------
Writing Articles for Search […]
- The Ugly Truth about Search Engines Do you want more search engine traffic? Are you having trouble getting it? You’re not alone. You could have the most highly optimized web site possible and still fail to achieve a top ten, or for that matter, even a top 20 ranking in an engine like Google.Why?It’s quite simple: content rules over keywords. Think for a minute about the sheer number of web pages out there today.Here is the number of pages Google claims to index currently: 4,285,199,774. For the math challenged, […]
- Finding The Right Work From Home Internet Business Opportunity Finding The Right Work From Home Internet Business Opportunity
By Tom Worsley
As the Internet grows and the amount of people using it so does the endless amount of online home business opportunities.
So how does one find the best work from home business opportunities on the Internet today? You could do a search for business opportunities or work from home business opportunities using your favorite search engine such as Google but chances are you will be more confused than when […]
- What is the Google Dance? As with any good web developer, the ability to time the changes Google will update your website and refresh the content for better SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is in your favor. Welcome to the world of “Google Dance”. The Google Dance is simply that the predetermination of when the actual update will commence.
What really happens is Google sends out spiders to crawl the Internet, usually done to DNS (Domain Name Servers), upon spidering all of the available tables it begins to go […]
- Avoid Search Engine Blacklisting The best way to avoid being blacklisted by the search engines is to avoid using some questionable techniques that were once popular to gain high rankings. Even if your website is not blacklisted by using some of the techniques below, it may be penalized (buried in the rankings) so your traffic will suffer all the same. When a search engine blacklists a website it will throw your listing off their site and block your site from coming aboard again. This can be done by blocking the […]