Every year students flock to the college bookstore to purchase the various textbooks that they require for their classes. Little do these students realize that, in doing so, they are throwing good money away. As unbelievable as it may seem textbooks, in some cases, actually cost as much, if not more, than tuition.
On the surface the college bookstore may seem like a convenient source for textbooks. Titles are usually in-stock and students may purchase new textbooks or opt for the cheaper alternative of used books. In truth the money saved by purchasing used textbooks from the college bookstore is only a fraction of the amount that students could be saving if they shopped online.
More and more online booksellers have begun selling textbooks at a considerable discount off of the cover price. In fact, many major booksellers now have special areas of their web sites that are devoted to selling nothing but textbooks. Online used bookstores are another source for college books as they stock a large number of textbooks, which means sizable savings for students. There are also web-based retailers whose inventory is entirely devoted to college books.
Students should avoid purchasing their textbooks at the first store that they browse. Instead, they should investigate the alternatives offered by other online booksellers. Price isn’t the only factor to consider when making an online purchase. Students should also factor in shipping costs and delivery time when making their buying decision.
Online auctions are another option for students seeking a bargain. This option, however, has its pros and cons. A plus is that students can get incredible bargains when obtaining books via online auctions. One downside is that established retailers have channels in place to ensure that you receive your order within a reasonable amount of time. With an auction purchase, however, you are at the mercy of the auction seller’s timetable.
One way that students can really save is by obtaining books for free. Project Gutenberg is one resource that English majors will find invaluable. At this site students can peruse a vast collection of classics that have entered the public domain. In the past students seeking assistance with their studies had to pay for the privilege of that help by purchasing study guides. Today that is no longer the case. Cash-strapped students can now visit Spark Notes for free downloadable study guides as well as free downloadable classics.
Students who elect to buy online will no longer be able to resell their books to the college bookstore at the end of class, but that doesn’t mean that they are stuck with the textbooks. Many web sites that sell textbooks also offer students the option of selling their books to fellow bargain-seekers. This allows students to easily recouping a portion of their money.
Textbooks normally consume a major portion of a student’s budget, but that doesn’t have to be the case, because while the cost of tuition may be set in stone the price of textbooks isn’t. By taking the time to do a little research on the best textbook values available college students can save money now rather than acquiring debt to be paid back later.
Copyright © 2004 Heather Wallace
Heather Wallace is founder of http://www.BargainMartian.com Visit to take advantage of the out of this world bargains from leading merchants found in this comprehensive directory of deals, rebates, bargains, coupons, and money-saving offers.
Related Flicker Images:
- The Metamorphosis of the Successful Executive . . . Overcoming Professional Stagnation You're a bright, successful business executive making good money and managing a capable staff of accomplished professionals. You are successful beyond your wildest business school dreams. You've achieved much-yet something's missing. On the surface, life is good-yet you feel tired, drained, frustrated, defeated. Intuitively, you know your life can and should be more fulfilling.
Where do you turn? What can you do?
Four years ago, I reached a point in my career as a clinical […]
- If Ever a Man So Great Walked it Would Be Him…. Dad My dad passed away this January. It happened so suddenly that I couldn't see him on his death bed. He was given the best medical treatment, money could buy, yet God wanted him at His side and therefore 2 heart attacks on the same day took him away from us.My dad was a Secretary.He had started out as a stenographer when he was 17 years old. Though very smart, he did not have enough cash to get through college and therefore always instilled in us that Education was a weapon.He was […]
- How to Teach to a Diverse Classroom of Students Each year teachers are faced with the daunting task of teaching
to a classroom of 20-30 individual students, each with their own
learning styles, interests, and abilities. Providing optimal
learning for such a diverse group can seem overwhelming. But,
there is a simple approach that can be used which will enable
all students to succeed, and that approach is simply using
variety and choice. Not only does this approach address the
multiple learning styles of students, but it also […]
- What Students and Parents MUST Know about Student Loans A student loan helps you get through college. Then you
come out into a high-paying career. It's a great
investment in your (or your sons/daughters) future.Student loans generally give you a good deal. You get
below-market interest rates, and you get a $2500 federal
tax credit on interest paid over any period of time
(previously first 60 months only)It doesn't matter if the student, or parent takes out the
loan; tax deduction remains the same.* Did you know the federal government […]
- 19,178 Identity Theft Victims Per Day – Are You One Of Them? Identity theft statistics are shocking. And we are told that it will only become worse, before it gets any better. Are you likely to be affected?
According to recent studies, up to 7,000,000 people become identity theft victims each year, in the United States alone. That’s over 19,000 cases a day, or 799 cases an hour. Whichever way you look at it, these are shocking figures. And with more and more people using the Internet, online banking, and other hi-tech services, things aren’t […]
- Weight Loss: Where to find Hidden Calories If you have been eating as usual and the pounds seem to be
creeping on - you could be a victim of hidden calories.When we are busy, stressed or focused on something else
we reach for convenient snacks that are usually high in fat.
This unconscious eating will add up to a whole lot of extra calories in the course of a day,or year. This mindless eating is nothing more than a habit that can be broken.To get this habit under control write down everything you eat
for the next 3 weeks – […]
- Four Huge Mistakes Ebay Sellers Make (Even Some Moderately Successful Ones) No matter how many times I see it happening, I’mconstantly amazed at the number of people who areliterally throwing money away by making incrediblysimple mistakes when they sell items in an onlineauction.
Over the last seven years, I’ve been making a greatliving buying and selling products on eBay and otheronline auction sites, and I’ve perfected a techniquethat pretty much guarantees anyone can start making aprofit right away. That technique starts with avoidingmistakes like these […]